Wednesday 7 March 2012

Lightroom auto advance

Still running lightroom 3 here even though LR 4 is now released and at a very attractive price too!

Anyway, the reason behind this post is that I recently had a problem with the computer which forced a reinstall of the OS and subsequently LR too. Not a problem as the catalogue was intact (although not most recently backed up - a situation to remedy) and just opened it with the fresh install of LR.

Nice clean fresh install of the OS and programmes means the computer has speeded up a tiny bit but one thing was bugging me about my time in LR; the auto-advance when I rated/picked/coloured an image. Now, I know that the auto-advance worked before and I was so used to it that I was completely thrown when it didn't work. Could I remember how to get it working? Not for a while until I knocked the caps-lock key and it started working. I hate having the caps-lock key on though, so I knew this wasn't what was doing it previously.

A search of various support fora told me multiple times that using caps-lock or holding the shift key while setting the flag or rating would do it, but that wasn't what I did before. Cue some searching of the preferences dialogue; to no avail, it isn't in there. More searching told me it's in the photo menu, but I couldn't find it and was scratching my head for a moment until a lightbulb lit. The menus are different in each module and I was in Develop and something like auto-advance is an organising feature, so that would logically be in the Library module. A quick switch to that and there it was in the photo menu: an option to auto-advance about three quarters of the way down.


If you're at all interested in the image in that screengrab, it's the Kincardine Bridge in Scotland. Shot from the banks of the Forth looking downriver.

No comments:

Post a Comment